Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chapter 6


"You're out of your mind."

"No I ain't.  You plan on holdin' out on me just 'cause you don't get your way?"

I didn't know whether to scream or howl in laughter.  "You just don't get it do you?  I can't imagine anyone wanting sex with me.  I mean someone might wanna do it to show me who's boss but not 'cause they really want to be ... involved or whatever with me.  And I sure can't imagine some guy that looks like you wanting to.  Maybe as a joke but that's about it.  I haven't ever even been kissed so how the heck ..."

"Wait.  You mean ..."  He sat back in his chair and scratched his chin with a very serious expression on his face.  "I suppose that changes things a bit.  We'll need to move slow."  He ran a hand through his hair and even though it got messy he somehow managed to look even hotter than he had before which just irritated me all the more.  "OK, how about this.  We don't worry about sex right now.  But I still want those stipulations in writing so you can't get me later on when things start working out."

"Fine," I told him with a snort.  "You're crazy but fine."  Then I had a thought.  "What about your girl?  What if she changes her mind and wants you back."

"Well to start with, Lisa isn't my girl no more.  I don't care if she changes her mind, I ain't changing mine.  She hurt me once.  I was a fool the second time around.  Ain't gonna be no third time.  And if that's it on that front we gotta get down to the brass tax that Gramps wants covered."

"Ok," I said accepting the change in conversation after noticing how uncomfortable he was.

"You might not like it."

"I guess we won't know for sure though if you don't hurry up and tell me."

"Guess not," he said but I was surprised to see he was trying to fight a grin.

"What?"

"You're not what I expected."

"Considering you're crazy I'm not sure I want to know what you expected."

This time he grinned.  "Tommy and Linda made it out like you wouldn't say boo to a goose.  That you're real quiet and don't have much to say for yourself most of the time.  I wasn't sure just how we would talk this stuff out or if you'd cry or something.  But the last thing you seem to be is a cry baby."

I shrugged.  "Tears are just wasted water and time.  They don't help nothing and they don't stop things hurting.  As for being quiet, I prefer it.  People are going to think what they want no matter what you do or say.  I've just never figured on getting married to a crazy guy that looks like a Greek god; and then have to do it while figuring all this other stuff out too.  At some point a girl needs to step up and look after herself because I don't see anyone else around doing it for me."

"Well, on that last you might be surprised.  Gramps laid down the law and said we wouldn't do this if it wasn't going to be done right.  And right includes making sure you understand you'll be part of the family and that we ain't gonna just grab the land and throw you out in the world to make your own way.  But it also means that you can't just change your mind down the road and try and take the land away 'cause you feel like feuding for some reason."

"Fine.  But what do you mean that I'm part of the family?"

"What do you mean what do I mean that you're ..."  He stopped and shook his head.  "Guess you might not know since you've never had a family."  He sighed.  "I'll be honest since we said that's what we want from each other.  Sometimes us Hartfords can be a little rough on folks.  A couple of the other new wives are having a ... a little trouble fitting in I guess you might say.  Ain't no girls in our generation in the family except for my sister Delly and she don't count.  She's fifteen years older than me and we weren't really raised together and she's always leaned more towards her husband's family.  None of her kids act like they got any Hartford in them either.  You likely won't have to put up with seeing them much as they live off towards town and don't bother coming around here unless there is a feed on or family business they want to stick their nose in."

"Ok.  But you don't expect me to be rude to them do you?  They're strangers and I don't generally do that, much less do it to people I don't know.  It's a waste of time and energy I don't have."

"Well, no.  We're polite to each other.  Gramps demands it.  Won't tolerate nothin' less.  Sometimes we polite the hell out of each other just for the sake of irritating the other person but as a general rule it don't go no further than that."

Deciding his explanation was as confusing as the rest of it I told him, "Guess I'll understand that when I see it.  What else?"

"Well, the rest is a bunch of legal stuff that Old Man Baffa put in.  Like what starts out at this house stays at this house ... like no taking furnishings from here, no trading the good stuff out and only putting crappy stuff in, tractor and implements belong to here but they can be used other places, no plowing under the food lots or wood lots, selling off bits and pieces of the land, that sort of thing."

"If you're looking at me to object or have anything else to add to it forget it.  This is the first time I've ever stepped foot around here and I barely remember the people that were supposed to be my family taking any interest in me."

"You ain't looked around?"

"Uh uh."

"Me neither.  I tell you what, let me empty the trailer so that Uncle James can go home and let folks know what is going on - and take the trailer 'cause it is Uncle Duke's - and we can look around together."

I shrugged again still not sure what on earth I was agreeing to be part of.

6 comments:

  1. this is such an interesting story. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing the farm from their eyes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited to watch this couple grow and live their lives. I love how you can get me involved so quickly with the characters. You always do love stories so well! Thanks for the chapter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kathy. A great story as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story really flies for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, all I can say is thank God I'm not a character in one of your stories! I don't think I could handle being expected to marry and sleep with a stranger. That's one strong young lady right there. :) I know I've said it a few times but it bears repeating...thank you!

    ReplyDelete