Friday, September 12, 2014

Chapter 37


Jeannie wrinkled her nose and said, "Ugh.  If I have to look at one more nasty box of tools ..."

I grinned.  This was the third pawn shop and the guys had already had as much fun pawing through old tools and stuff like that as we girls had had going through the clearance mall.

Linda tapped my shoulder and said, "Lookey there.  If the guys can do their thing I don't see why we can't do ours."  It was a thrift store and a pretty big one and it had a going out of business sign tacked to the door.  Linda ran in and told the guys where we were going and after two false starts we finally got across the street.

Jeannie and Linda both went bonkers.  A lot of stuff that had been on the list that Aunt Pearl had sent with them was there.  The woman was so happy to be able to get rid of all the craft supplies, sewing notions, and fabric that she threw in all the old patterns and pattern books she had as well.  "Less I have to put into storage the less I have to pay.  You got some way to get this stuff home girls?"

Linda, finally back to her normally sunny-self smiled and said, "And three men to do the moving too."

The woman laughed good naturedly and we kept shopping.  I found jeans for me and for Sawyer and then I found some decent canvas shorts that I could work in over the summer.  There were a bunch of flannel shirts in different sizes and work shirts as well and we bought all she had since she was selling everything off the rack at a quarter an item.  For that price Linda and Jeannie got most of the rest of the jeans thinking that someone would be able to use them or they could be made over into something else.

From the back the woman pulled out a bunch of dusty jars.  They weren't name brand but they didn't have any imperfections so Linda said they would work.  I helped them pick out some kitchen ware for the other wives that didn't have anything or barely had enough.  In fact we almost bought too much.  The guys about keeled over when they saw what we had and were wondering how we would get it all home since they'd bought their share as well.

The woman laughed and said, "Oh what the heck.  I got a trailer in back that the tag is just about up on.  You give me fifty dollars for it and it's yours."

After the guys looked it over and pronounced it road worthy Sawyer gave her the money for it and she grinned.  "Now this is gravy.  I was thinking I was just going to have to leave this here."

The trailer was little but went a long way to making it possible to get home what we needed to get home ... at least until Uncle James phoned Tommy and asked if we could pick up the order from the Mennonite store on the way home.  Everyone groaned but laughed too as we set about rearranging things one more time.

---------------

"You ok with those bags under your feet?" Sawyer asked.

"I'm fine.  Stop worrying so much.  Just watch the road.  I've never seen so many crazy people in all my life."

Sawyer smiled and said, "I thought the Hartfords were the biggest crowd of crazy people you've ever seen."

"I thought so too but compared to the ones I've seen today the Hartfords are the model of logic and stability."

Sawyer barked a laugh then had to jerk the wheel to avoid someone pulling out into the road suddenly.  Sawyer uttered a curse and I had to grab the dash to keep my foot from slamming into the door.  "You ok?"

"I'm fine but your Gramps is never going to believe this mess.  I've never seen anything like it."

"Me neither.  Whose bright idea was it to have a farmer's market at the intersection before the wash out?!  And what is the deal with all the people?!  It wasn't this bad at the mall."

Sawyer's phone rang and he threw it at me to answer while he navigated the insane traffic.

"Hello?  Sawyer?"

"Um, I'm sorry Sawyer is driving right now.  Can I take a message?"

"Is this Kay-Lee?"

"Er ... yes.  May I ask who this is?"

"It's Cutter.  Tell Sawyer to turn into that old overlook on the other side of the wash out.  Tell him I have dad's big diesel and I'm about six cars behind him.  I'll take some of that grain if he'll take some of this fresh stuff.  Might make that trailer less twitchy."

I turned to Sawyer but he nodded and said, "I heard.  Tell him I'll wait on him."

---------------

"Kay-Lee, this is Cutter and Davis," Sawyer said, introducing me to his cousins.

Cutter grinned a little self-consciously and said, "I know Kay-Lee."

Sawyer frowned and said, "You do?  How?"

I interrupted and said, "My school.  He was a football player remember."

"I know that but how does he know you?"

"Are you saying that I wasn't worth knowing?"

Sawyer was about to say something then caught himself just in time and said, "That's not what I meant.  I just mean that Cutter ..."

I grinned, "Was always being Cutter and had to scrub lockers and stuff like that more than once when his practical jokes would go ... er ... astray."

With a ferocious frown he growled, "Did they go astray on you?"

I laughed, "Cutter's pranks went astray on everyone.  It's no big deal Sawyer."  I turned to Cutter and said, "But I swear if you set off a stink bomb in our house you are going to think back fondly on all that scrubbing at school as a gentle learning experience.  Sawyer and I just got the place aired out."

Cutter acted like he was afraid and said, "Yes'm.  I mean no ma'am.  My pranking days are over."

"Yeah right.  Uh huh ... just whatever you do, do it someplace else."

Davis just continued to frown and avoid looking directly at me.  When he had his back turned I looked a question at Sawyer but his just minutely shook his head so I dropped it.

We weren't the only people that used the overlook turnout to get out of traffic.  The guys started getting twitchy when people kept coming over and asking where we got this, that, or the other.  When they started crowding the guys had a hard time getting done what they wanted to get done.  Finally I stopped just standing around and asked a woman that was trying to see into the back of the truck, "Excuse me but can I help you?"

My tone wasn't rude but it wasn't exactly gentle either.  Hers was just plain nasty.  "You got more than your fair share."

"Excuse me?"

"You got more than the rest of us."

"More what?"

"More stuff."

"Stuff doesn't tell me anything.  And if we paid for it ..."

"Kay-Lee!" Sawyer called interrupting.

"I'm over here," I called back.  "Some people are having trouble with personal space issues."

It wasn't Sawyer that came around to our side but Davis.  "Problems?"

"Just she was looking in the back of both the trucks.  And not casual looking either; I wasn't sure if she was going to try and open the doors next.  And says we have more than our fair share."

"Fair share of what?"

"All she would say was stuff."

The woman was slowly backing off but she still looked daggers in our direction.  People were starting to look at her with suspicion as well.  Some of them made a big scene out of locking their doors or telling their kids to beep the horn if someone got too close.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Good for Kay-Lee! Thanks Kathy, hope you have smooth day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy wonderful story.
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang it. I read to fast! Thank you for wonderful stories Kathy!

    ReplyDelete